I promised a recap of my Memorial Day weekend and my cousin’s wedding so here it is:
The weekend can be summed up in one word: SPECTACULAR!
Almost the entire family was able to make it to the wedding. People came from Washington State, Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina, Virginia, and New Mexico. I’d say we did our best at taking over Sherman, Texas for the weekend!
Besides having a ton of fun, doing alot of reminiscing, and making new memories that will last a lifetime, I think the most important thing that came out of the trip was the realization that I have the best family in the world and I absolutely love them. As children, we were all very close, but I often worry that after all of the years of college, and jobs, and everyone moving farther apart to pursue different careers or life choices, we would slowly drift apart and lose that closeness that we all had.
This trip definitely stifled those worries because even as adults, we all still enjoy each other’s company and realize how important it is to maintain that closeness that many other families are not lucky enough to have.
And in no specific order, here are my favorite moments from the trip:
- Marc calling me to tell me that they were running late to pick Ben and I up from the airport and they would be there soon if they didn’t die first from the roach crawling around Megan’s car
- Eating REAL Tex-Mex food and drinking margaritas with Megan and Ben on a Thursday afternoon
- Watching the Hangover with the fam and repeating quotes like, “Tigers love pepper; they hate cinnamon” and “Toodaloo Motha Fuckas”
- Running on the treadmill with my sister in the hotel gym on Friday morning and keeping each other motivated for our half marathon in October
- Eating continental breakfast with the whole family in the hotel lobby every morning
- Watching the surprise slide show made by Bryan’s (the groom) dad 3 times and loving it more each time
- Getting to know some of my cousins as adults since the last time I saw them they were still kids
- Dancing with Ben for the first time in our almost-4-year-long relationship
- Visiting with friends and family at the rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception
- Introducing Ben to the whole fam damily and to Sherman, Texas!
- DANCING with the fam (particularly to Footloose – will always remember the suspender tricks)
- Giving a speech at the reception to honor my cousin and one of my best friends
- Catching the bouquet (even if my mom DID volley it to me)
- Meeting many of the little ones who have joined our family but I hadn’t had the opportunity to meet yet and watching them dance and play on the dance floor
- Saying “Shelby Drink Your Juice” in a country accent every time Megan started to tear up at the thought of no longer being a Mitchusson to keep her from messing up her make-up
- The sigh of relief I had when mom fixed the zipper on my bridesmaid dress and once again confirmed that she is my ultimate hero
- Walking down the stairs at the reception with the best man as we were introduced to the guests to the tune of the Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling”
- Partying at Cellarmans until midnight after the rehearsal dinner and then moving the party to the Holiday Inn Express gazebo until 2 AM the night before the wedding
- Getting my hair done with my mom, aunt, the bride, and the bridesmaids
- Getting pedicures and manicures with my mom, aunt, sister, and cousin
- Laughing the day after the wedding at the stories of dance moves involving the shocker
- Seeing Matt’s bee hives
- Dancing to “Girl’s Just Want To Have Fun” after “catching” the bouquet
- Watching my cousin get married in the same church my parents were married in almost 40 years ago
There are so many more great memories, but if I keep writing, you’d all get bored and stop reading!
And now, courtesy of Marc Mitchusson, a photo of the Scott Family great-grandaughters who attended the wedding and also some of my best friends in the whole world!