I thought this article on happify.com had some excellent techniques on how to break out of the negative thinking cycle. I often find myself rehashing a negative expereince or thought over and over again which is very unhealthy. In short, the techniques are:
- Go Shopping In your Mind – Whenever you are experiencing negative thinking, break out of the cycle by mentally going through groceries on a shelf, books in a collection, or songs in a playlist.
- Keep Positive Company – Avoid negative people and surround yourself with positive people.
- Physically Throw Them Away – Write your negative thought down on paper and throw it away in the trash.
- Have a Cup of Tea – Studies show the warmth can provide comfort especially when negative thoughts are related to feelings of loneliness.
- Reframe Your Situation – Find the positive and silver lining to a negative experience or take advantage of a negative experience and make it better.
Happy Tuesday friends,
Here’s my dose of gratitude for the week:
- I’m thankful for friends and play dates. This weekend, we spent an afternoon with 3 other mamas from my childbirth class who all have boys around Carter and Morgan’s ages. We had so much fun playing with new toys, throwing sand in the sand box, and playing with the other kiddos. And I had a great time getting to chat with friends while the boys were happily distracted. I’m so thankful for those days that we are able to get out of the house and spend time with friends.
- I’m grateful for swimming lessons! On Saturday, we started our first day of the 18 month to 3 year old swimming class. I’m grateful that we live in a community that offers such a great activity at a decent price and I’m also thankful that they require a parent to accompany each child because that means there is a built-in chunk of time that we get to spend together as a family for the next few weeks. Plus we have an indoor activity to keep us entertained during the colder months!
- I’m thankful for great doctors. Just as my back was healing, I started having some additional health issues. I’m so thankful to have doctors that are usually able to see me the day that I call in with a problem. In addition, I’m so grateful for my mother-in-law who was able to watch the boys for me at the last minute so I didn’t have to drag them with me to the doctor’s office.
- I’m grateful for the gift of a massage from my sister-in-law. It was the first massage I’ve had since I was pregnant with the boys and after carrying around a combined 55 pounds of little boy every day, I desperately needed it. I’m also thankful for my friend, Amy, who gave me the massage and did an amazing job! Lastly, I’m thankful for my husband for watching the boys so I could get my massage on Sunday. It was so relaxing!
- I’m thankful to be alive. Every day is a gift and I’m trying to remember to be grateful for each one.
Hey there and welcome to this week’s post of gratitude! Here’s what I’m especially thankful for today:
- I’m grateful for my health and the health of my family members.
- I’m thankful for the fact that we’ve already passed the shortest day of the season and are headed toward longer and sunnier days.
- I’m grateful for winter. I’m not a fan of short days and cold temperatures but those two things keep my husband indoors more which means he gets to spend more time with the boys and I instead of working on our house and yard.
- I’m grateful for the opportunity to watch 2 little boys grow and learn. Watching them experience new things and learn new concepts is fascinating and I’m sad thinking about the day when they will no longer approach everything with such wonder.
- I’m thankful for coffee! I LOVE coffee and I drink a lot of it! Without it, I’d probably have a much harder time making it through most days without a nap so I’m very grateful for it!
Happy day friends!
It’s a new year and with a new year, comes the inevitable new years resolutions. And one of my many resolutions is to practice being grateful more often which includes *attempting* to keep up with my weekly “Thankful Monday (or whatever day it happens to be)” posts. So here’s my first thankful post of 2016:
- I’m so grateful for modern medicine! I hurt my back badly the other day due to a combination of overzealous New Year’s Day workout, slipping and falling at the park, and constant lifting and carrying of a combined 55 pounds of toddler boys. While I am most certainly not grateful for the injury, I am so thankful for my doctor, my doctor’s office’s ability to get me seen very quickly, steroid/numbing shots, and medication. Here’s hoping I can be grateful for a quick recovery next week! 😉
- I’m grateful that thus far, my boys have not caught the stomach virus that Ben and I endured over the holidays. I’m hoping they both stay healthy!
- I’m thankful for my family, who spent lots of time and money to travel to Virginia to be with us for my birthday and Christmas. We had a blast together despite above mentioned stomach virus.
- I’m thankful for our secure jobs and enough income to not only give our boys a good life but also a very nice Christmas filled with more toys than they could play with in a day. I’m also thankful for these gifts, the bulk of which came from family. The boys are blessed as are we!
- I’m thankful for the opportunity for a fresh start. Every new year brings with it the chance to reflect on the past and try to improve upon our mistakes and misgivings. Here’s hoping 2016 will be an amazing and grateful year for us all!
Wishing you all a wonderful year ahead!
Hi friends! Here’s a dose of gratitude for you!
- Today, I’m thankful for the sunshine! I love the warmth, light, and vitamin D!
- I’m grateful for wonderful friends! I have so many wonderful friends, and even more wonderful friends that I’ve met through those friends! I’m looking forward to the next few days filled with those wonderful friends! I hope they all know how much their friendship means to me.
- I’m grateful for highly competent, skilled, and helpful coworkers. I wouldn’t be able to do my job to the best of my ability without the help of the people on my team at work.
- I’m thankful for the time change. While I’m not crazy about it getting dark so early, I do enjoy seeing the sun on my way to work again and my boys sure have been sleeping well since we “fell back an hour”.
- I’m thankful for my husband Ben who works so hard for us. He takes good care of our house, cleans the kitty litter, saves spiders, squirrels, and other critters by catching them humanely and releasing them back outside, and he built a beautiful greenhouse to hold most of our plants during the winter. I hope he knows how much I appreciate him.
Happy day friends!
I found another great happiness infographic on lifehack.org and wanted to save it here for future reference.
Time for a little gratitude!
- I’m thankful for a wonderful place to work that provides me with flexibility, a part time schedule, and working from home capabilities that all allow me to spend more time with my children. They also have a wonderful wellness program that has helped me beyond any drug out there and has introduced me to the wonderful world of mindfulness and meditation. And to top it all off, they have a bi-annual employee appreciation day! I’m very grateful to work here!
- I’m grateful for access to therapies for my boys. Because they were born premature, they’ve been late to walk and talk and we are lucky to have a physical therapist and speech therapist who come to our house to work with us in addition to insurance that pays for it. Both the boys are walking now and are starting to mimic our words so I’m very grateful for their continued improvements and development!
- I’m thankful for the good things in life that have been happening for my sister and brother. Within the past year and a half they have both started new jobs in their preferred career path, begun relationships with very nice significant others, and have found their first real adult homes. I’m happy to see them happy!
- I’m grateful for the internet and social media. It has allowed my extended family to stay connected and plan a future family reunion that has been long overdue!
- I’m grateful for long walks on autumn days. My boys and I have been spending lots of time outdoors soaking up the last of the warmth and sunshine before winter comes and it makes me so happy to spend time with them outside.
Happy day friends!
Quick reminder to be grateful!
- I’m thankful for the mindfulness class at work yesterday. I needed the mindfulness practice and the time to just sit, reflect, and stop trying to go 1000 miles per second!
- I’m grateful for pay day! It’s always nice to wake up in the morning and see the email from ADP that my paycheck has been deposited because I always forget these days!
- I’m thankful for my work schedule. I’m so lucky to have a job that allows me to work 30 hours a week, much of it from home, so that I may have a flexible schedule and spend more time with my boys.
- I’m thankful for the benefits I receive through work. With Open Enrollment just completing, it reminds me to be glad I work somewhere that provides me with health, dental, and life insurance among other helpful benefits.
- I’m grateful for friends who are there to listen to me vent about problems I am having. Specifically, my sister from another mister and my mom have helped me through some difficult issues I’ve been having recently by just listening and offering advice.
Happy day friends!
This week, my family and I have a lot to be grateful for:
- My father-in-law nearly choked to death and my mother-in-law saved his life! I’m grateful that he is ok and so thankful that my mother-in-law was there and able to save him. I’m also very thankful for the quick-responding EMTs and hospital staff at Martha Jefferson who took good care of him.
- I’m thankful for each day that myself and everyone I love wakes up and is healthy. After what happened this week, I am reminded that every day is a gift for us all.
- I’m thankful that we live close to my in-laws and were able to be nearby in an emergency.
- I’m grateful for washing machines! We’ve had alot of blowouts this week and having a washing machine and dryer sure does make life with toddlers a lot easier!
- I’m thankful for the week ahead which will be filled with sun, fun, family, and friends!
Love to you all!